Soul Eater Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Useful Roleplaying Guide

Go down

Useful Roleplaying Guide Empty Useful Roleplaying Guide

Post by Tiggy69 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 11:13 am

So i found this roleplaying guide on this other rp site i'm on, and some of the stuff is useful so i thought that id post it heres. Ignore the part about DM's that is for the other site.

SO you've cleared the 500 word count and can shoot out 3 paragraphs per post. Surely, this must mean your roleplayer skills are moderate-high at least. Clearly, this puts you above one-liners and post-recyclers.

BZZZZZZZZZZT! WRONG!

This small guide won't provide the same old "Mind your grammar, avoid short posts, brush your teeth after every meal" tips. Nope. Here's where you get some actual advice you can immediately apply to enrich your posts. Without further adue, keep your hands in the cart at all times because it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

LANGUAGE, MOTHERCLUCKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?

The hot-blooded idealistic character won't engage in gentlemantly talk when confronted by a snobbish character. You need to keep it real and remember that it's the character speaking, not you. Even if you are into l33t sP3@K or some obscure jargon, your character has a degree of variation from yourself unless you went Easy Mode and made it an extension of your real life self in which case boy, those jimmies will be rustled. All in all, knowing how to write dialogue is key. If it doesn't fit the character, avoid writing dialogue that would contradict the traits you've given him or her. No two people speak the same, kiddies. HOWEVER...

SHOW, DON'T TELL

Ever wondered how life would be if you actually narrated or commented on nearly everything you do with lenghty exposition of how you feel about it and the possible ramification of your actions? Pretty damn annoying and dull ain't it? Well the same happens when a character gets asked "How're you doing?" and goes on to narrate their autobiography up until the question was asked. Simply put unless it's a character trait that the person is prone to blabber off, avoid building your post entirely around dialogue. Sure, sometimes the mood can call for it but variety is the spice of life. KNOW when to use long dialogues and when to rely on context, scenery and...

DESCRIPTIONS, HOW DO THEY WORK?!

Here's where personal preferences start becoming more relevant. See, you will at some point reach a level in which a 7 paragraph post about tying your shoelaces can sound as thrilling as the Anakin vs Obi Wan duel in the prequels. But that's a story for another day. Right now, the importance of descriptions is something I want to convey. I'm not talking about mechanical ones like size, width, weight, position in relation to the sun's orbit or anything like that. Save that for the battle rp section. Don't go to extremes either, and make poetry about how blue the curtain of your character's room is. No, the key to good description is knowing your character's POV and knowing what you want to convey. Balancing dialogue and atmosphere is what makes your post interesting to read.

DADDY DADDY, MY PARTNER DOESN'T ANSWER MY POST

Well son that's because you're adopted. It can also be because when you write a post, you must give the other material to work with. If your post is entirely internal and offers nothing to the other characters' perspective, we get the awkward scene in which two people will keep staring at each other while doing nothing. Even if you don't speak, body language, eye contact or lack thereof, everything counts. You have more tools than you realize. You need to learn to use them.

NO MR BOND, I EXPECT YOU TO DIE

So you somehow managed to pick a fight with another RPC. Wether this is a deathmatch or not doesn't count, you've gotta put up a fight even if you already know the result. THIS is where you can go with lenghty descriptions of how you perform the actions and why. Because it will give the DM or whoever is reading the post a good and solid perspective of your hit, making it more likely to connect. Basically, avoid outright saying "It hit and made lots of damage" because that will piss off the other rper or DM, who will retaliate in kind and possibly in an even dickish manner. Again, the important part of a fight is the fight itself and not the result. Believe me when I say that DMs will favor characters who put effort every time even if they fall short of goals. It provides character development and is more appealing than a munchkin who starts out uber strong and doesn't move from there. Just remember, deciding on the outcome before you do a battle rp is often the best solution.

We'll send flowers just in case though.

I RAN OUT OF REFERENCES

Shit, make something up.

FINAL SUMMATION

Don't resort to simply stating action+dialogue. You can use the very environment and scenery to paint the roleplay and make it come alive. Like the saying goes, it takes two to tango. You're supposed to entertain your partner and keep him or her interested. It's a mutual thing, and if only you get enjoyment out of it, you're not doing it right at all.

Yes, that came out rather ambiguous. Yes, I meant for it to.

Now go roleplay.

-Credit to Prowiasto of Persona: Rising Reverie for the whole guide
Tiggy69
Tiggy69

Character sheet
Souls:
Useful Roleplaying Guide Left_bar_bleue0/100Useful Roleplaying Guide Empty_bar_bleue  (0/100)

Back to top Go down